Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Third arrest in Parsons Green train bomb probe

Two other men aged 18 and 21 remain in custody in connection with Friday’s bomb attack.

A third man has been arrested in connection with the Parsons Green terror attack, Scotland Yard said.

The 25-year-old was held in a counter-terrorism raid in Newport, south Wales, shortly after 7pm on Tuesday.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said a building in the town was being searched.

Two other men aged 18 and 21 remain in custody in connection with Friday’s bomb attack on a London Underground train in south-west London.

The raid was carried out by the Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorism Command, assisted by Gwent Police and the Welsh Extremism and Counter Terrorism Unit (WECTU) and an address in the town was being searched on Tuesday night.

Commander Dean Haydon, head of the Counter Terrorism Command, said: “This continues to be a fast-moving investigation. A significant amount of activity has taken place since the attack on Friday. We now have three men in custody and searches are continuing at four addresses. Detectives are carrying out extensive inquiries to determine the full facts behind the attack.

bpanews_bc6cec3e-0077-4e4f-a0a9-11073c8e8c7f_embedded899465
Police activity in Newport (Claire Hayhurst/PA)

“We anticipate that the searches will take some days to complete and may cause further disruption. However it is important that we continue with these searches and I’d like to thank all those affected for their support, patience and co-operation.”

The family of the second suspect questioned over the Parsons Green bombing earlier insisted he was innocent and “loves the UK”, according to reports.

bpanews_bc6cec3e-0077-4e4f-a0a9-11073c8e8c7f_embedded896815
The incident took place on Friday (Stefan Rousseau/PA)

Yahyah Farroukh, 21, and an 18-year-old man remain in custody after detectives were granted more time to question them over Friday morning’s bomb attack on a London Underground train.

The older man’s family expressed their shock after the Syrian refugee was arrested on Saturday night as he finished a shift at a fried chicken takeaway.

His brother Hamed told the Mailonline from Egypt that Farroukh did not mix with extremists.

bpanews_bc6cec3e-0077-4e4f-a0a9-11073c8e8c7f_embedded896830
Emergency services outside Parsons Green station in west London (Stefan Rousseau)

He said: “He is a good guy. He works in a restaurant to make a living. He would not hurt anyone.

“My father, God bless his soul, brought us up to live decently and with high morals. Yahyah has never mingled with bad guys or militants or Daesh people.”

The family said they left Damascus, in war-torn Syria, in 2012 and moved to Egypt, where their ill father died recently.

Farroukh had travelled to the Netherlands to visit them during the Muslim holy period of Eid, shortly after the death, they said.

bpanews_bc6cec3e-0077-4e4f-a0a9-11073c8e8c7f_embedded896805
Police at a cordon on Cavendish Road, in Sunbury-on-Thames (Dominic Lipinski/PA)

Scotland Yard said magistrates had granted warrants allowing the 18-year-old to be held until Saturday, and Farroukh until Thursday.

The news came as fresh CCTV footage emerged that appears to show the Parsons Green bomb suspect on his way to plant his homemade device.

The video, obtained by the Press Association, shows a figure dressed in grey carrying a distinctive white Lidl carrier bag around 80 minutes before the explosion that injured 29 people.

Both Farroukh and the younger man, understood to be the suspected bomber, are believed to have spent time in foster care with Penelope and Ronald Jones, aged 71 and 88 respectively, who previously received MBEs for services to children and families.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph