Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Thomas Cook cancels Sharm el-Sheikh bookings until November

Travel firm Thomas Cook has cancelled all bookings to Sharm el-Sheikh until at least November.

The Government suspended flights to the Egyptian resort on November 4 last year after an Airbus 321 operated by Russian airline Metrojet crashed, killing 224 people.

Islamic State jihadis claimed responsibility for bombing the jet.

More than 16,000 Britons stranded in the area were brought home on a series of rescue flights amid heightened security.

But no flights have operated between the UK and Sharm since November 17 as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is advising against all but essential travel using the Red Sea resort's airport.

Thomas Cook said it was extending its period for cancelling bookings from May 25 to October 31 because there was "n o clear indication as to when the FCO travel advice may change".

The company added that any of its c ustomers who were due to travel to Sharm up to that date can cancel or amend their holiday to another destination free of charge.

British Airways has cancelled its services to Sharm until at least September 15.

Thomson Airways has suspended flights up to May 25, with Monarch taking the same action up to April 18.

E asyJet will not operate flights from Stansted to Sharm up to May 27, while its services from Gatwick, Luton and Manchester are cancelled until at least the end of the summer.

The Association of British Travel Agents has previously said the decision on when to use Sharm airport will be made by the UK Government rather than airlines.

The FCO travel advice states that the UK is working with the Egyptian authorities and liaising with travel companies to enable flights to resume ''as soon as appropriate security arrangements are in place''.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph