Three children in hospital after taking 'unknown substance'
Three children are being treated in hospital on the Isle of Man after they swallowed an unknown substance.
It is thought the children, aged 11 and 12, had found the substance earlier in Douglas before emergency services were called to an area near The Bowl at the National Sports Centre shortly after 2.30pm on Thursday following concerns for the welfare of a child.
It was established the child was in need of medical attention following a reaction to the substance they had ingested.
Subsequently, three children were taken to Noble's Hospital for treatment and are in a stable condition.
Tests are being conducted to determine the substance involved, said police.
Inspector Juan Kinley said: "There has been much speculation and rumour as to the condition of the children on social media which is incorrect.
"I can confirm that three young children remain in Noble's Hospital in a stable condition receiving medical treatment.
"We are continuing an investigation into the circumstances of how the children came to have possession of the substance, but we believe that it was found by them earlier in the day in the Douglas town area.
"The public are reminded that if they find any unknown substances to hand them to the police or local pharmacy. The public are reminded of the real dangers of taking any unknown substances and this type of incident just underlines the consequences."