Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Three hurt in house fire near Liverpool’s Anfield Stadium

One man was taken to the major trauma unit at Aintree University Hospital.

Three people have been injured after reports that a roof collapsed in a house fire in Liverpool.

One man was taken to the major trauma unit at Aintree University Hospital after a fire broke out on Anfield Road, not far from the home ground of Liverpool Football Club.

Two other people have been transferred to Whiston Hospital, North West Ambulance Service said, but no details of their condition were given.

Merseyside Police said they were called shortly before 5.30pm to reports of a house fire and roof collapse.

bpanews_ae77bd65-c5d1-4c37-9fa4-2ca92bfc5a96_embedded879570
Firefighters at the scene in Anfield Road (Peter Byrne/PA)

The fire service sent three appliances to the scene on Tuesday.

Video on social media showed flames and black smoke billowing from the roof of a house and two bangs could be heard in quick succession.

Business student Chris Greenaway, who lives on the street, said he saw a man leave the house with a bloodied arm in “a state of shock”.

bpanews_ae77bd65-c5d1-4c37-9fa4-2ca92bfc5a96_embedded879580
One man was taken to the major trauma unit at Aintree University Hospital (Peter Byrne/PA)

The 19-year-old said he initially heard a “big bang”, looked out of his window to see “the road filled up with smoke” and then heard “screaming and shouting”.

He added: “About 10 seconds later the roof went off, tiles went to the floor and three big bangs occurred.”

Mr Greenaway said he believed the bangs were caused by fireworks exploding, adding: “I’m 100% sure it was fireworks as I saw the colour pop off within the roof.”

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph