Trump to cut ribbon on golf course
US tycoon Donald Trump will hit the first ball on his new Scottish golf course later.
The building of Trump International Golf Links in Aberdeenshire has been controversial, with environmental campaigners opposing the construction of the course on protected sand dunes and Mr Trump himself complaining about a potential offshore windfarm being built near the site.
The course will open to the public on Sunday July 15 with a series of private events being held this week.
The businessman will cut a ribbon on the first tee to mark the opening and will hit the first balls with former Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie and 1999 Open champion Paul Lawrie.
More than £100 million has been spent on the course and the clubhouse, but further plans for a hotel and homes in the area have been put on hold until a final decision is made on the offshore windfarm proposal.
Trump International said 160 jobs have been created so far with positions in management, catering and course maintenance.
Work on the course began in July 2010 after the tycoon won planning permission to start work on the construction four years after plans were first put forward.
In April, Mr Trump appeared in front of the Scottish Parliament's Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee and said that he would not have built his golf course in the north-east of Scotland if he had known about plans to install wind turbines off the coast there.
He told MSPs: "I've spent a tremendous amount of money - debt-free, no debt on the property, nothing - building what many are already considering to be the greatest golf course anywhere in the world. I don't want to see it destroyed by having 11 monstrosities built looming over it, literally one mile away."
Scottish ministers will make the final decision on whether to approve the £150 million wind farm project.