Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Two arrested in Syria terror probe

Two more people have been arrested in Britain by police investigating suspected terrorism in Syria as further searches are carried out.

A 37-year-old man and a 36-year-old woman were held at a property in Essex on Wednesday on suspicion of "being involved in the commission, preparation and instigation" of terrorism.

Their arrests follow the detention of two men, aged 22 and 29, at the Port of Dover in Kent in the early hours of Monday in connection with the same inquiry. Some ammunition was also seized.

Scotland Yard said searches were being carried out at properties in east London and Lancashire. Two vehicles had also been searched.

The British-Asian men who were arrested under the Terrorism Act 2000 on Monday had arrived at the Port of Dover from Calais. The men, understood to be of Pakistani heritage, remained in custody at a London police station as inquiries continued by Scotland Yard's Counter Terrorism Command (SO15).

The pair held on Wednesday have also been taken to a police station in the capital, and a search warrant was executed at the Essex property where they were detained.

No arrests have been made at the east London and Lancashire addresses which are being searched. Scotland Yard said: "The searches are ongoing and we are unable to provide more details at this stage."

British citizens travelling abroad in connection with extremist activities has been a focus for the Security Service for some time, with Syria proving popular with would-be Jihadists.

The former head of MI5 last year warned Britons are increasingly heading to the Middle East for terrorist training in preparation for attacks in the wake of the Arab Spring.

Jonathan Evans, director-general of the Security Service, warned in June that parts of the Arab world were becoming a more permissive environment for al Qaida and Britons were travelling there to "seek training and opportunities for militant activity".

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph