Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Two charged with terror offences

Two men arrested in a dramatic counter-terrorism operation last weekend have been charged with terror offences.

Scotland Yard said a 25-year-old British national of Turkish origin had been charged with offences contrary to Section 5 of the Terrorism Act 2006 and Section 58 of the Terrorism Act 2000.

A British national of Algerian origin, also 25, has been charged under Section 58 of the Terrorism Act 2000 and with a further offence contrary to the Identity Documents Act 2010.

Both men were arrested last Sunday following a swoop where marksmen used special ammunition to stop a car on Mansell Street, near the Tower of London.

They will appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates' Court tomorrow.

The British national of Turkish origin is accused of preparing a terrorist act with the intention of committing or assisting another to commit such an act.

Both men are accused of making a record of information of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism or possessing a document or record containing information of that kind.

The British national of Algerian origin is also charged with p ossession of false identity documents with improper intention.

They were arrested following the "hard stop" on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.

Police had been granted additional time to question until today at a south London police station.

Two other men arrested as part of the same operation were freed without charge yesterday.

One is 28-year-old British national of Azerbaijani origin detained by officers on upmarket Westbourne Grove in west London, while the other is a 29-year-old British national of Pakistani origin arrested in Peckham, south-east London.

A spokesman said officers had completed searches at six addresses in London and also on two vehicles as part of their investigation.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph