Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Two held after teenager, 17, is stabbed to death

Published 04/04/2016

The Metropolitan Police said two male youths had been arrested close to the scene and were in custody
The Metropolitan Police said two male youths had been arrested close to the scene and were in custody

A murder investigation has been launched after a 17-year-old boy was knifed to death in south London.

Two boys, aged 15 and 16, have been arrested in connection with the daylight killing and remain in custody.

Police officers found the young victim, who has not been named, with a stab wound after they responded to an altercation between a number of youths in New Cross on Sunday evening.

Scotland Yard said they were called to New Cross Road at 7.41pm and discovered the injured boy in nearby Camplin Street.

Paramedics rushed to the scene and the victim was taken to a south London hospital where he died at 9.04pm.

A police spokesman said the boy's next-of-kin had been informed, and a post-mortem will take place in due course.

A cordon was set up on the residential street while an incident room opened at the Homicide and Major Crime Command.

The two teenagers taken into custody in connection with the incident were arrested near the scene, police said.

Detective Chief Inspector Rebecca Reeves appealed for witnesses to come forward.

She said: "It was still daylight when the altercation began and we believe there could have been many people in the area who may have seen something which could provide valuable information to the investigation. I would urge them to contact police as soon as possible."

Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8721 4868, the police non-emergency line on 101 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph