Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Two killed by E. coli linked to infected salad leaves

By Jane Kirby

Published 19/07/2016

Two people have now died after becoming infected with E. coli that may be linked to eating mixed salad leaves
Two people have now died after becoming infected with E. coli that may be linked to eating mixed salad leaves

Two people have now died after becoming infected with E. coli that may be linked to eating mixed salad leaves.

Public Health England (PHE) is investigating an outbreak of E. coli O157, which has so far affected 151 people, mainly in the South West.

There have been 144 cases in England, six in Wales and one in Scotland. PHE did not say where the two people died.

It is looking into whether salad leaves - possibly including rocket imported from the Mediterranean - may be to blame.

PHE said it had advised "a small number of wholesalers" to stop adding some imported rocket leaves to their mixed salad bags as a precautionary measure.

Epidemiologist Dr Isabel Oliver said the PHE has identified that "several of the affected individuals ate mixed salad leaves including rocket leaves prior to becoming unwell".

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph