Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Ukip man's fears over jewel heist

Published 12/04/2015

Police have released CCTV images of suspects wanted in connection with the Hatton Garden Safety Deposit raid
Police have released CCTV images of suspects wanted in connection with the Hatton Garden Safety Deposit raid

A Ukip candidate who is under investigation for handing out sausage rolls to voters has revealed that he may have lost valuables in the Hatton Garden burglary.

Kim Rose, a jeweller who is standing in the Southampton Itchen constituency in Hampshire, had a box at the safe deposit hit in a "highly audacious" Easter holiday raid in London's jewellery quarter.

The 58-year-old made headlines earlier this week when it emerged that police want to question him following a report that he tried to woo potential voters with refreshments at a party event.

Mr Rose is still waiting to hear whether his was among 72 boxes which were taken in the burglary and will be interviewed by police tomorrow morning over the sausage roll claims.

He told the Press Association: "I've been in the jewellery trade all my life and I had a box at the safe deposit because I go up to Hatton Garden for business once a week.

"There were two bits in there which were not insured - there was a bracelet belonging to my dad, who died back in 1984, and a Dupont lighter that he had.

"I'm going to go up to Hatton Garden on Wednesday to inquire about the box.

"The bracelet and the Dupont lighter really do mean a lot to me. My dad would have been really proud that I was standing for something I believe in.

"If they have gone it would be upsetting, it would be a shame."

The claims of "treating" against Mr Rose allegedly took place when he invited snooker legend Jimmy White to play pool with local children at a local community centre on February 21.

He is expecting police to tell him whether he faces charges after he visits Romsey police station tomorrow.

Asked about the public's response since the sausage roll story broke, he said he had received "warmth and love and support".

"Nothing surprises people any more and I think they just find it absolutely ridiculous and a complete waste of police time," he added.

Yesterday CCTV images of three suspects in the Hatton Garden robbery were released by police as it emerged the gang carried out the burglary in two separate visits over the Easter weekend.

Scotland Yard has been criticised after admitting officers were told a burglar alarm had gone off at the scene but decided it did not require a response.

The force claimed it was "too early to say" if the handling of the call would have had an impact on the outcome of the burglary.

But according its own timeline of events, the men would still have been inside the safe deposit when the alarm went off.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph