Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Wigan Council probes claims schoolchildren were put in store cupboard

Published 12/04/2016

An investigation is taking place over claims schoolchildren were put in a store cupboard
An investigation is taking place over claims schoolchildren were put in a store cupboard

An investigation has been launched into claims that schoolchildren were put into a store cupboard by a member of staff at a Wigan school.

Wigan Council has confirmed that they are currently investigating allegations that pupils at Leigh CE Junior School in Greater Manchester were made to stand in the cupboard.

One parent whose 11-year-old son was allegedly banished to the cupboard said she was contacted by a social worker regarding the incident.

Victoria Francis told the Manchester Evening News that her son Nathan who has dyspraxia had been left for over an hour.

Ms Francis said she was "disgusted".

She said: "Nathan suffers from dyspraxia and told me he was put in there for not writing as quickly as the rest of his class. To be punished for having a disability is despicable.

"The member of staff was apparently making them stand inside the cupboard, which Nathan says has a window, on their own and then shutting the door."

A spokeswoman for Wigan Council said that a meeting was taking place on Tuesday following the school's half-term break.

James Winterbottom, director for children's services at Wigan Council, said: "We have been made aware of allegations and are working with the school and police on the matter and will keep parents appropriately informed throughout the process."

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph