WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange sees internet access 'severed by Ecuador'
WikiLeaks has claimed that Ecuador has cut the internet link of its founder Julian Assange.
The twist came 13 hours after the whistle-blowing organisation said it had been "intentionally severed".
A source at the Ecuadorian Ministry in Ecuador told the Press Association: "We don't respond to speculation circulating on Twitter.
"Ecuador will continue to protect Julian Assange and uphold the political asylum granted to him in 2012."
But WikiLeaks tweeted tonight:"We can confirm Ecuador cut off Assange's internet access Saturday, 5pm GMT, shortly after publication of Clinton's Goldman Sachs speechs." (sic)
An early morning tweet accused a "state party" of being responsible for shutting down internet access to Mr Assange, who has been living inside the Ecuadorian Embassy in London for over four years.
The tweet said: "Julian Assange's internet link has been intentionally severed by a state party. We have activated the appropriate contingency plans."
The incident attracted a storm of comments and speculation on social media from across the world. These ranged from concerns for the Australian's health, to support for any move to stop the activities of the group.
The news came after WikiLeaks released another batch of emails from the campaign manager of US presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.
Mr Assange is wanted for questioning in Sweden over a sex allegation, which he denies, but he believes that if he leaves the embassy he will be extradited to the US for questioning over the activities of WikiLeaks.