Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Woman admits kidnapping baby boy from family home

Published 29/03/2016

The woman will be sentenced in May
The woman will be sentenced in May

A 41-year-old woman has admitted kidnapping a baby boy from the child's family home.

Kelly Mahon was accused of unlawfully abducting either by force or fraud the baby from an address in Telford in Shropshire on February 24.

The abduction of the child, who cannot be named for legal reasons, prompted a manhunt and a national appeal, but he was found "safe and well" a few hours after the incident.

Mahon, of John Broad Avenue in Telford, appeared in custody at Shrewsbury Crown Court on Tuesday to enter her plea, but will not be sentenced until May.

During a hearing at Telford Magistrates' Court last month, following Mahon's arrest, a prosecutor told that court the kidnap had been "pre-planned".

Kelly Crowe told magistrates on February 26 that police had found several child-related items after a search of Mahon's home.

She said: "When officers go around there (to Mahon's home) a number of baby items were present; cots, clothes, baby clothes, both female and male and also a to-do list.

"She made reference to sterilisers, nappies, and milk for babies."

Mahon was remanded back into custody to appear at the crown court for sentencing on May 12.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph