A woman was today fighting for her life in hospital after a Christmas Eve inferno in Londonderry.
The fire was discovered shortly after 11.30pm on Monday at a ground floor flat in the Waterside.
The blaze caused considerable damage to the property, which was today lying empty.
The woman, who is believed to be in her 50s, was taken to Altnagelvin Hospital, but was later transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.
She was today still being cared for in the Royal's intensive care unit, where a spokesman described her condition this morning as "critical".
The flat on Dungiven Road is on the edge of the Triangle estate and is flanked by a house, as well as having another flat directly above it.
SDLP councillor Gerard Diver said: "I hope the lady in question will make a full recovery from her injuries.
"At this time of year unfortunately this is something that can happen and underlines the importance of people being aware of the potential for fires.
" I am sure the whole Triangle area will be shocked."
Meanwhile a mother and child had a lucky escape in Co Derry on Christmas Day when a boiler exploded at their home.
The Fire and Rescue Service said metal had penetrated through walls when the incident occurred just after 5pm yesterday as the pair slept in the living room of a house in Craigadick Park.
A spokesman for the Fire and Rescue Service said they were lucky to be alive.