Workmen spark blaze at Dublin's Guinness plant
Published 22/12/2009 | 02:56
Workmen repairing a roof with a blowtorch yesterday sparked a major blaze at the iconic Guinness plant in Dublin city centre.
Plumes of thick black smoke billowed across the city skyline as a dozen fire crews battled to bring the inferno under control and stop it from spreading to a nearby ammonia plant.
Pat Fleming, assistant chief fire officer with Dublin Fire Brigade, said it took three-and-a-half hours to get the inferno under control.
“There have been no injuries to any of the Guinness staff but two firefighters have been taken to hospital as a precaution,” he said. It is understood the fire broke out when workmen tried to repair a felt roof with the blowtorch.