Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

14 charged over Ankara suicide car bomb blast

Published 22/02/2016

The February 17 attack targeted buses carrying military personnel and killed 28 people (AP)
The February 17 attack targeted buses carrying military personnel and killed 28 people (AP)

A Turkish court has charged 14 people in connection with last week's suicide car bombing in Ankara and ordered them to be jailed pending trial, the state-run news agency said.

Seven other people were released with charge.

The Anadolu Agency said the 14 are suspected of aiding a terror organisation, forging official documents and fraud.

It was not immediately clear what role they played in the February 17 attack, which targeted buses carrying military personnel and killed 28 people.

A Turkey-based Kurdish militant group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the government insists it was carried out by a US-backed Syrian Kurdish militia group in collaboration with Turkey's own Kurdish rebels.

Turkey is pressing the US to halt support to the group, which is a key force in the battle against the Islamic State group.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph