Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 20 August 2014

15 fishermen killed in gun attack

Gunmen in the Philippines opened fire on three boats killing 15 fishermen

Gunmen in a Philippine restive southern region opened fire on three boats and killed 15 people in what officials say was likely a clash between rival fishermen.

Military spokesman Lt Col Randolph Cagangbang said the attack took place off Sibago Island in Basilan province.

It is a stronghold of Muslim rebels who have been fighting for minority self-rule in the predominantly Christian nation for decades.

However, Cabangbang ruled out the involvement of al Qaida-linked Abu Sayyaf militants who were blamed for a series of deadly attacks on civilians and troops last year.

He said the fishermen were probably attacked by a rival group because they strayed into their fishing grounds.

Three other fishermen were wounded.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz