Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

16 Turkish workers kidnapped in Iraq released

Published 30/09/2015

Turkish workers who were kidnapped in Iraq have been released
Turkish workers who were kidnapped in Iraq have been released

A group of Turkish workers who were kidnapped in Iraq earlier this month have been released, Turkey's state-run news agency said.

The Anadolu Agency said they were freed in the city of Basra and were travelling to Baghdad. Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said 16 workers were released. Previous reports had given the number as 18.

The men, employed by Turkish construction company Nurol Insaat, were snatched from a construction site in Baghdad's Shiite-dominated Sadr City on September 2. An Iraqi national was kidnapped along with the Turks.

The group that captured them had demanded that Turkey halt the flow of militants into Iraq, lift what it called a "siege" on Syrian Shiite cities and stop the passage of oil from Iraq's northern Kurdish region via Turkey in defiance of Baghdad.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph