Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 26 October 2014

17 dead in Philippines ferry crash

A rescue operation is under way after a ferry collided with a cargo ship off the Philippines (AP)

A ferry with nearly 700 people aboard has sunk near the central Philippine port of Cebu after colliding with a cargo vessel, killing at least 17 people. Hundreds of others were rescued.

The captain of the ferry MV Thomas Aquinas ordered the ship to be abandoned after it began listing and then sank after hitting the cargo vessel, coastguard officer Joy Villegas said.

The coastguard said 17 people were confirmed dead, including children, and 525 had been rescued several hours after the collision. Authorities were still checking the number of others who had been taken to hospitals.

Two coastguard vessels and other nearby ships were involved in the rescue operation not far from the port of Cebu, Mr Villegas said.

Hundreds of passengers jumped into the ocean as the ship started to sink, according to survivors. Many of the passengers were asleep and others struggled to find their way in the dark.

Jerwin Agudong said he and other passengers jumped overboard in front of the cargo vessel after the ferry began taking on water and the crew distributed life jackets. He told radio station DZBB that some people were trapped and he saw bodies in the water.

"It seems some were not able to get out. I pity the children. We saw dead bodies on the side, and some being rescued," he said.

He said the ferry was entering the pier when the cargo vessel, which was on the way out, suddenly collided with it. The 455ft -long ferry sank in about 30 minutes, he said.

The youngest among those rescued was an 11-month-old baby, news reports said.

The ferry came from Nasipit in Agusan del Sur province in the southern Philippines on a day-long journey, Mr Agudong said.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz