Belfast Telegraph

Monday 14 July 2014

19 dead as China hit by floods

Residents are evacuated through a flooded street by an excavator in Guanghan city in south-western China's Sichuan province (AP)

Floodwaters surging through Himalayan foothills in western China have swept bridges, houses and hillsides into roiling brown rivers, leaving at least 19 people dead and dozens missing as heavy rains buffet many parts of the country.

Flooding in the western province of Sichuan was the worst in 50 years for some areas, with more than 100,000 people forced to evacuate.

Nationwide, at least 1.6 million people have been affected since Sunday and thousands of homes damaged, according to the Ministry of Civil Affairs. Nearly 100 people have been left dead or missing across the country, according to reports from various provinces, though the overall tally is likely to be higher.

Many of the casualties in Sichuan were from a massive landslide that struck a scenic resort outside the city of Dujiangyan. An entire hillside collapsed onto clusters of holiday cottages where city dwellers escape summer heat, a survivor told the official Xinhua News Agency.

"The noise was like thunder and went on for two or three minutes. My first thought was that I too would be buried," Gao Quanshi, 47, was quoted as saying. Phone lines were cut, so villagers had to trek to nearby government offices to call for help, he said.

Images from the scene showed a valley filled with mud and rocks with only the tops of trees sticking through. Drenched rescuers wearing helmets and life jackets worked mostly with hand tools to prevent harming any survivors still trapped beneath.

A total of 352 tourists had been rescued from the area as of Wednesday night, Xinhua said. Overall in Sichuan, there were are least 19 dead and more than 50 missing, state media reports said.

Mudslides and flooding are common in China's mountainous areas but in some areas the current floods are already the worst in half a century. Reports said the 94 cm (37 inches) of rainfall that fell on Dujiangyan over 40 hours beginning on Monday was the heaviest since records began being kept in 1954.

Also in the west, more than 2,000 people were rescued after being trapped for several hours on Wednesday in a highway tunnel between Dujiangyan and Wenchuan - the epicenter of the Sichuan earthquake five years ago that left 90,000 people dead or missing.

In nearby Beichuan county, flooding destroyed buildings and wrecked exhibits at a memorial for earthquake victims. The flooding also caused the collapse of an almost 50-year-old bridge in a neighbouring county, sending six vehicles into the raging waters and leaving 12 people missing.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz