Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 23 October 2014

3 dead, 71 hurt in Belgium festival storm

At least three people were killed and more than 70 others injured when a storm hit an open-air music festival in Belgium today, an official said.

Video from the site near the town of Hasselt, about 50 miles (80km) east of Brussels, showed stage equipment dangling in high winds as rain-soaked concertgoers at the Pukkelpop festival ran for cover.

More than 20 ambulances were dispatched to the scene.

Hugo Simons, Hasselt's head of emergency planning, told VRT radio that 11 people were seriously injured while 60 other suffered slight injuries as a result of the storm.

Hasselt Mayor Hilde Claes said the injured had been taken to several nearby hospitals, with some of those who were only slightly hurt being treated at a local sports complex.

Chokri Mahassine, the organiser of the festival, said: "We have for now put the festival on hold until we understand the situation completely."

Dutch NOS television reporter Rick Hoogkamp, who was attending the event, said the sky got dark, winds picked up violently and hailstones pelted those gathered. He said several tents collapsed.

Images of the disaster also showed fallen trees and fallen lighting scaffolds.

The festival's website lists a number of stages where performances were to be held during the three-day event, which started today.

Reports said some 60,000 people were attending the event.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz