Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 17 September 2014

33 killed in head-on bus crash

Thirty-three people have reportedly died after a head-on collision between two tourist buses near a Red Sea resort

Thirty-three people have been killed and 41 others injured in a head-on collision between two tourist buses near a popular Red Sea resort, Egypt's state news agency said.

Mena said the crash happened about 30 miles (50km) from Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, early today.

The buses were travelling in opposite directions and collided head-on on the main road. The cause of the accident was not immediately known.

Khaled Abu Hashem, chief of the local emergency services, said four foreigners - a 20-year-old Ukrainian woman, a Yemeni man and a Saudi woman and child - were among the wounded but their injuries were slight.

Traffic accidents are common in Egypt due to badly maintained roads and disregard of traffic laws. Road accidents killed about 13,000 people in Egypt last year.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz