Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 21 September 2014

37 dead after earthquake in Iran

An earthquake in southern Iran has killed 36 people, officials say

A 6.1 magnitude earthquake has killed at least 37 people and injured hundreds more in a sparsely populated area of southern Iran, officials said.

The report said the earthquake struck the town of Kaki, about 60 miles south-east of Bushehr, a town on the Persian Gulf that is the home of Iran's first nuclear power plant, built with Russian help.

"No damage was done to Bushehr power plant," provincial governor Fereidoun Hasanvand told state TV. He said 37 people had died so far and 850 were injured, including 100 who were in hospital.

The plant's chief, Mahmoud Jafari, confirmed the site's condition to the semi-official Mehr news agency, saying that it is resistant to earthquakes of up to magnitude eight.

Water and electricity were cut to many residents, said Ebrahim Darvishi, governor of the worst-hit district Shonbeh.

The UN's nuclear watchdog agency said on its website that it had been informed by Iran that there was no damage to the plant and no radioactive release and, based on its analysis of the earthquake, was not seeking additional information. The International Atomic Energy Agency statement indicated that it was satisfied there was little danger.

Shahpour Rostami, the deputy governor of Bushehr province, told state TV that rescue teams have been deployed to Shonbeh.

Three helicopters were sent to survey the damaged area before sunset, said Mohammad Mozaffar, the head of Iran's Red Crescent rescue department. He said damage was particularly bad in the village of Baghan.

Dozens of aftershocks have been reported by the official IRNA news agency since the earthquake, which occurred at 16:22 local time, 11:58 GMT. Iran has announced three days of mourning.

The quake was felt across the Gulf in Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar, where workers were evacuated from high-rise buildings as a precaution.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz