Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

73 more expelled from Turkish armed forces after failed coup bid

Published 07/09/2016

It is estimated that more than 5,000 personnel have been discharged from Turkey's armed forces since the coup bid on July 15
It is estimated that more than 5,000 personnel have been discharged from Turkey's armed forces since the coup bid on July 15

Turkey has expelled 73 more personnel from its armed forces as part of an ongoing effort to rid the military of what it says are followers of the alleged mastermind of the failed July 15 coup attempt.

The Turkish Ministry of Defence said on its official Twitter account on Wednesday the expelled personnel belonged to the air force.

It said the dismissals have strengthened the military "as it gets rid of traitor Feto," a reference to US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Turkey accuses of being behind the coup attempt. Gulen denies this.

Turkey's state-run Anadolu news agency said 105 detention orders have been issued in 17 provinces for "imams running the military forces" and soldiers connected to Gulen's organisation.

The "imams" are said to be Gulen followers who hold important command positions for the network.

The announcements came after last week's dismissal of 820 military personnel, of whom 648 were jailed.

It is estimated that more than 5,000 military personnel have so far been discharged since the coup bid, including 151 generals and admirals.

AP

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph