Belfast Telegraph

Friday 19 September 2014

Afghan attacks kill four soldiers

Silvio Berlusconi said the attack made him wonder if Italy's sacrifice in Afghanistan was worth it

Four Nato soldiers have been killed across Afghanistan by roadside bombs and an insurgent attack.

The victims included a 37-year-old Italian lieutenant and Italy's Premier Silvio Berlusconi said four other Italian soldiers were wounded, including three seriously, by a bomb north of Shindand district of Herat province in western Afghanistan.

Mr Berlusconi said the attack made him wonder if Italy's sacrifice in Afghanistan was worth it given how "medieval" the nation was.

However, he said the Italian mission in Afghanistan must continue.

Nato said two other troops were killed by bombs in the east and south and a fourth died following an insurgent attack in the east. Their nationalities were not released.

Fighting accelerated between Taliban insurgents and coalition and Afghan forces last year after 30,000 US reinforcements finished arriving in Afghanistan in the summer.

The Nato forces are pushing hard to rout insurgents from their strongholds in the south and east and improve security so the Afghan government and international community can bolster governance and development work.

The latest deaths bring to 34 the number of Nato service members killed this month, after 31 were killed in January.

Last year was the deadliest of the nine-year-old Afghan war for the international forces, with 701 killed.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz