Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 27 December 2014

Aid agencies 'jostling for position' in Haiti relief operations

A Haitian man carries an empty coffin around in the central hospital complex January 22, 2010 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Aid has started trickling out to Haitians devastated by last week's earthquake that ravaged the country, though many fear not enough will reach desparate citizens in time to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe
A Haitian man carries an empty coffin around in the central hospital complex January 22, 2010 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Aid has started trickling out to Haitians devastated by last week's earthquake that ravaged the country, though many fear not enough will reach desparate citizens in time to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe
Pvt. Christopher Iker of Cincinatti, Ohio carries a Haitian man with a wounded leg through the central hospital complex January 22, 2010 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti
In this handout image provided by the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH), Haitians scavange for goods among collapsed stores on January 22, 2010 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Aid from around the world is arriving in support of Haitians victimized by last week's deadly earthquake, but getting that aid to where it's needed within the capital city has become a challenge as roads remain clogged with collapsed buidings, abandoned vehicles, food stands and loitering people, some of whom have taken to erecting tents on the thoroughfares
Hatians walk away with food and water distributed by Brazilian UN peacekeepers on January 22, 2010 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti
People stand in line to get food being distributed by United Nations peacekeepers on January 22, 2010 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. International aide continues to slowly arrive in the earthquake ravaged city
People stand in line to get food being distributed by United Nations peacekeepers on January 22, 2010 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. International aide continues to slowly arrive in the earthquake ravaged city
People stand in line to get food being distributed by United Nations peacekeepers on January 22, 2010 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. International aide continues to slowly arrive in the earthquake ravaged city

A bitter row has emerged between aid organisations working in Haiti and The Lancet medical journal which claimed the organisations look after their own interests rather than those of the people they claim to help.

In an editorial published yesterday, The Lancet criticised the "decline of humanitarianism" in the aid sector and its replacement by a culture of competition in which organisations seek to raise their media profile to win more donations.



The aid sector has become "polluted" by the "internal power politics and unsavoury characteristics seen in many big corporations," it said. "Relief efforts in the field are sometimes competitive with little collaboration between agencies, including smaller, grass-roots charities that may have better networks in affected counties and so are well placed to immediately implement emergency relief," it said.



But the Disasters Emergency Committee, which is co-ordinating the aid response in Haiti, said The Lancet's attack was "risible".



Brendan Gormley, the DEC chief executive, said: "Rather than "jostling" for position, 13 major UK aid agencies have come together under our banner to launch the DEC Haiti Earthquake Appeal to ensure a coherent and united response in our UK fundraising and publicity."



He went on: "It is clear that the scale of the disaster in Haiti is far too large for any individual agency and the DEC agencies always work closely together on the ground."



Logistical problems in Haiti were huge because of the scale of the destruction and the large number of UN staff and members of the Haitian government who had perished. The Lancet had failed to take this into account, he said.



Dedicated staff and volunteers were working tirelessly to bring help to the survivors. "To suggest that humanitarianism is no longer the ethos of many organisations is risible," he said.

Source: Independent

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz