Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Aleppo evacuations could resume after Shiite villages deal

An agreement has been reached to allow "humanitarian cases" to leave two besieged government-held Shiite villages in north-western Syria, a step which would allow the evacuations of civilians and rebels from eastern Aleppo to resume, Hezbollah's media arm and a monitoring group have said.

The opposition's Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the evacuation of some 4,000 people, including wounded, from the villages of Foua and Kfarya was expected to start on Saturday.

Hezbollah fighters have joined the Syrian war fighting along with President Bashar Assad's forces. Opposition activists blamed the Lebanese group for blocking the main road south of Aleppo and blocking evacuations from rebel-held eastern neighbourhoods of the city.

The Aleppo evacuation was suspended on Friday after a report of shooting at a crossing point into the enclave by both sides of the conflict. Thousands were evacuated before the process was suspended.

The Syrian government said the village evacuations and the one in eastern Aleppo must be done simultaneously, but the rebels say there is no connection.

Hezbollah's Military Media said the new deal includes the rebel-held towns of Madaya and Zabadani near the border with Lebanon where tens of thousands of people are trapped under siege by government forces and the Lebanese group.

A Syrian State TV correspondent, speaking from Aleppo, said on Saturday that the main condition for the Aleppo evacuation to resume is for residents of Foua and Kfarya to be allowed to leave.

The ceasefire and evacuation from east Aleppo earlier this week marked the end of the rebels' most important stronghold in the five-year-old civil war. The suspension demonstrated the fragility of the ceasefire deal, in which civilians and fighters in the few remaining blocks of the rebel enclave were to be taken to opposition-held territory nearby.

In announcing the suspension, Syrian state TV said on Friday that rebels were trying to smuggle out captives who had been seized in the enclave after ferocious battles with troops supporting Assad.

Reports differed on how many people remain in the Aleppo enclave, ranging from 15,000 to 40,000 civilians, along with an estimated 6,000 fighters.

There were also contradictory reports on the number of evacuees who left on Thursday and early on Friday from east Aleppo. Syrian state TV put it at more than 9,000 while Russia, a key Assad ally, said more than 9,500 people, including some 4,500 rebels, were taken out.

AP

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph