Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Alligator tragedy parents 'will not sue Walt Disney World over toddler death'

Published 20/07/2016

Two-year-old Lane Graves died after being dragged into the water by the reptile
Two-year-old Lane Graves died after being dragged into the water by the reptile

The parents of a toddler killed by an alligator at Walt Disney World do not plan to sue the Florida resort over the boy's death.

Matt and Melissa Graves, of Omaha, Nebraska, said they want to focus on their family's future health following the death of two-year-old Lane.

A family spokeswoman, Sara Brady, said she could not say whether a financial settlement had been reached with Disney World.

Ms Brady said: "The family is really focused on just moving forward and healing."

The parents described themselves as "broken" by the death of their son.

They said: "We will forever struggle to comprehend why this happened to our sweet baby, Lane.

"As each day passes, the pain gets worse, but we truly appreciate the outpouring of sympathy and warm sentiments we have received from around the world."

Disney World president George Kalogridis said the company continues to provide support for the family.

An alligator pulled Lane Graves into the water at the resort on June 14. His father said a second alligator attacked him as he tried to save his son.

Lane's body was recovered the next day, and investigations showed he died from drowning and traumatic injuries.

After Lane's death, Disney World made changes to limit possible visitor contact with alligators on the property.

Rope fences with netting were installed around some waterfront areas, and "No Fishing" signs were installed.

Fishing at Disney World was changed to be limited only to excursions.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph