Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

American lion hunter Jan Casimir Seski 'did not break law'

Published 03/08/2015

The office of Jan Casimir Seski, who the Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority has accused of being involved in an illegal lion hunt in April (AP)
The office of Jan Casimir Seski, who the Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority has accused of being involved in an illegal lion hunt in April (AP)

A Zimbabwean safari operator accused of facilitating an illegal lion hunt for an American citizen in April denies the bow and arrow kill was unlawful and says his client acted in "good faith".

Headman Sibanda said his client Jan Casimir Seski, of Pennsylvania, did not break any law during his hunt in Zimbabwe.

Mr Sibanda said the relevant paperwork was in place for Mr Seski's hunt.

The Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority alleged on Sunday that Mr Seski was involved in an illegal hunt.

Zimbabwean officials say they are seeking the extradition of another American, James Walter Palmer, for killing a well-known lion named Cecil in a hunt last month that was allegedly illegal.

Mr Palmer has said he relied on his professional guides to ensure the lion hunt was legal.

Mr Sibanda said Mr Seski "conducted his hunt in good faith and now he is being treated as if he is some criminal".

"He is an honest man who came into this country to give us business. He doesn't deserve all this attention and harassment. He should be allowed to have a good night's sleep because his conscience should be clear. Everything was done above board."

To support his argument that the hunt was legal, Mr Sibanda noted that he had not been arrested. The government wildlife management body, however, said Mr Sibanda had no permit to hunt lions on his land and that an investigation was under way.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph