Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Amsterdam deaths spark drug warning

Health authorities in Amsterdam are warning of dangerous drugs being sold to tourists after three British men died in the last month after snorting heroin they may have believed was cocaine.

A large sign outside the Dutch capital's Centraal Station warns that "extremely dangerous cocaine is sold to tourists" in the area.

The warning campaign comes after two British men, aged 20 and 21, were found dead in a hotel room in the city on Tuesday. Police say they apparently died after snorting "white heroin" they may have bought believing it was cocaine.

Amsterdam police spokesman Rob van der Veen said the same drug is suspected in another British tourist's death last month.

Mr Van der Veen added that it is not yet clear why heroin is apparently being sold as cocaine.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph