Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Armed drone launches strike on IS from Turkey

Published 05/08/2015

Turkish foreign minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said US aircraft have started to arrive at an airbase
Turkish foreign minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said US aircraft have started to arrive at an airbase

An armed drone taking off from Turkey has launched a strike on Islamic State (IS), a US official said.

The announcement came as Turkey's foreign minister said American aircraft had begun to arrive at a Turkish base close to the border with Syria and an "extensive" fight against the extremists would begin soon.

Meanwhile Syria's foreign minister said Damascus would support efforts against IS, as long as the fight is co-ordinated with the Syrian government.

Ending years of reluctance, Turkey carried out airstrikes against IS targets in Syria late last month and agreed to allow US warplanes to use Incirlik Air Base for operations, taking a more front-line role in the US-led coalition's fight against the extremists.

Pentagon spokesman US Navy Captain Jeff Davis said a drone had launched an airstrike from Turkey for the first time on Wednesday, but provided no further details.

He said the US was planning to fly manned aircraft out of Turkey but that had not yet begun.

US officials had said the first armed drone missions out of Turkey began last weekend although they did not conduct airstrikes at the time.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of an Asean meeting in Kuala-Lumpur, Malaysia, Turkish foreign minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said the battle against the IS from the Turkish air base would begin soon, but did not elaborate.

"As part of the agreement reached with the United States, we have made great strides on the technicalities of Incirlik's use and the US aircraft have started to arrive," he said. "Soon we will together start an extensive battle against Daesh." Daesh is the Arabic acronym for the Islamic State group.

The Turkish minister also told reporters that once the "effective" fight has begun, the ground would become safer for moderate opposition forces fighting IS.

His comments came following reports that members of the Free Syrian Army who went through a US training programme to fight IS militants were captured by the al Qaida-linked Nusra Front in Syria.

Syrian's state media quoted foreign minister Walid al-Moallem as saying in Tehran on Wednesday said the fight against the IS should be co-ordinated with Syria.

"We are with any effort to fight Daesh as long as it is in coordination with the Syrian government otherwise it is an infringement on Syria's sovereignty," Mr al-Moallem said.

Mr al-Moallem has been in Iran since Tuesday where he is believed to have been discussing an Iranian initiative to try to end Syria's four-year conflict that has killed more than 250,000 people.

According to the Lebanon-based pro-Syrian Al-Mayadeen TV, the four-point Iranian initiative calls for an immediate ceasefire, formation of a national unity government, amending the constitution to reassure ethnic and religious minorities and holding internationally supervised elections.

Iran is Syria's strongest ally in the region and has backed Assad since the country's crisis began in March 2011.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph