Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Arrests in France 'thwart attack on nightspots'

Published 02/02/2016

A protester holds a banner reading
A protester holds a banner reading "Stop the terror" during a protest against the state of emergency, in Paris (AP)

Five people have been arrested outside the French city of Lyon over alleged plans to stage attacks on nightspots before leaving for Syria.

A French official said four men and a woman had been held, adding that they had already bought bus tickets to join Muslim extremists in Syria via Bulgaria and Turkey.

He added the five were also trying to obtain weapons to attack French nightspots.

At least some of the five were already on the radar of French intelligence for extremist views, he said.

European extremists with the Islamic State group returned to France to carry out the November 13 attacks that left 130 dead in Paris, most at a rock show and bars and restaurants.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph