Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Assad: Syria chemical attack is '100 per cent fabrication'

Syrian president dismisses allegations his forces used sarin and chlorine gas in attack on rebel-held village which killed more than 80 people

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has reiterated that his government had nothing to do with the chemical gas incident in a rebel-held village last week that killed more than 80 people.

Allegations that his forces had deliberately poisoned civilians were ''100 per cent fabrication'', the president said on Thursday, adding that the Syrian government gave up its chemical weapons stocks as part of a 2013 agreement.

"Our impression is that the West, mainly the United States, is hand-in-glove with the terrorists. They fabricated the whole story in order to have a pretext for the attack," he said.

Mr Assad made the comments in an interview broadcast by AFP, his first since the US struck a Syrian airbase with missiles in retaliation for the events in the village of Khan Sheikhoun.

The international community has condemned the deaths in Idlib province, which most Western intelligence services believe occurred thanks to a deliberate attack carried out by the Syrian government.

Read more

Damascus and allies in Moscow have denied the regime attacked the village with chemical weapons, maintaining that the casualties were caused by gases released after an al-Qaeda-affiliated ammunitions depot was hit by conventional munitions in a legitimate government air raid.

Neither country has provided any on-the-ground evidence to back up their claims.

The Syrian government agreed to surrender its chemical weapons stocks to an international watchdog after the deaths of hundreds in a rebel-held suburb of Damascus in 2013, although the opposition has long accused the regime of holding back some of its supply.

Read more

US President Donald Trump retaliated last Friday with a "warning shot" barrage of 59 Tomahawk missiles which struck the regime-operated Shayrat airbase near Homs - the first direct action against Mr Assad's forces taken by the US in more than six years of the civil war.

On Wednesday, Russia's representative to the United Nations vetoed a Security Council resolution condemning the attack and recommending an immediate international investigation.

The draft text called on the Syrian government to provide flight plans, flight logs and other operational military information from the day of the strike.

MIT professor says White House claims over Syria chemical attack are ‘obviously false’

MIT professor Theodor Postol, who challenged the 2013 claims of a chemical attack in Syria, is now questioning the Trump administration’s claims that Assad government was responsible for the April 4 attack in the Idlib province town of Khan Shaykhun. His 14-page report is published below.

Independent News Service

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph