Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

'At least' 15 killed in Nigeria bomb blasts

Published 03/10/2015

Violence from Boko Haram's six-year insurgency has killed nearly 20,000 people and displaced 1.4 million from their homes
Violence from Boko Haram's six-year insurgency has killed nearly 20,000 people and displaced 1.4 million from their homes

Multiple bombs detonated in two locations of the Nigerian capital, Abuja, have killed at least 15 people, officials said.

The explosions on Friday night were in Nyanya and Kuje, both satellite towns of Abuja, agency spokesman Sani Datti said in a statement. He said 13 people died in the blast in Kuje and two in Nyanya. At least 41 people were wounded, Datti said.

No group has claimed responsibility but the attack has attributes of others by Boko Haram, the home-grown Islamic extremist group. Boko Haram extremists have largely been carrying out attacks in the country's northeast but occasionally have attacked other towns.

Violence from Boko Haram's six-year insurgency has killed nearly 20,000 people and displaced 1.4 million from their homes. At least 1,000 people have been killed since President Muhammadu Buhari took office earlier this year with the promise of wiping out the insurgents.

Four suicide bombers killed at least 10 people Thursday in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, the army said. No group claimed responsibility but Nigerian security forces blamed Boko Haram, which is based in the area.

At least 39 others were wounded in the attack in the Sareji neighbourhood of Maiduguri, military spokesman Col Sani Kukasheka Usman said.

Nigeria's military on Thursday also accused Boko Haram of poisoning water sources in north-eastern Nigeria.

"Credible information ... indicates that though no human life was lost as a result of the barbaric act of the terrorists. However, some cattle were killed after drinking water from some poisoned sources," Usman said.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph