Attacked ex-Wimbledon champ Kvitova 'could return to tennis in six months'
Petra Kvitova could return to tennis in about six months, according to the surgeon who operated on her left hand after she was attacked by an intruder at her home.
The two-time Wimbledon champion was injured on Tuesday by a knife-wielding man at her house in the Czech town of Prostejov.
The attacker is still at large, and police have asked the public for help to trace him.
Kvitova, 26, underwent nearly four hours of surgery on Tuesday at a specialised clinic in the northern town of Vysoke nad Jizerou.
"When we talk about (playing tennis), it will take about six months," said surgeon Radek Kebrle of the Hand and Plastic Surgery Institute.
"It's a serious injury and we have to deal with that accordingly.
"She's young and healthy and has long, slim fingers," he said. "That's a good prognosis."
Earlier on Wednesday, Kvitova's spokesman, Karel Tejkal, said the surgery was successful and the Czech player was feeling good.
Kvitova - who is left-handed - sustained damage to the tendons in her left hand, along with injuries to all five fingers and two nerves in the incident.
She was taken to the clinic in Vysoke nad Jizerou, an elite institution in the country, after initial treatment at a hospital in Prostejov. Doctors decided to operate on her hand immediately.
Shortly after the attack, Kvitova wrote on Twitter that she expected to recover and get back to playing tennis, saying "if you know anything about me I am strong and I will fight this".
Kvitova won the Wimbledon title in 2011 and 2014. She reached a career-high ranking of number two in 2011, but finished the 2016 season as number 11.
In April 1993, Monica Seles was at the height of her success when she was stabbed in the back during a changeover at a tournament in Hamburg.
A man reached over a courtside railing and knifed her, leaving an inch-deep cut between her shoulder blades.
Seles returned to the game 27 months later and reached the 1995 US Open final.