Belfast Telegraph

Friday 25 July 2014

Babies killed by anti-freeze in medication

Scores of babies have died after being fed a teething formula contaminated with anti-freeze.

The Nigerian health ministry said 84 children had now died, out of 111 taken ill since the poisonous batch of ‘My Pikin Baby Teething Mixture’ went on sale in November.

Many bottles of the formula were found to contain diethylene glycol, commonly found in anti-freeze and brake fluid. Exposure can cause kidney and liver damage and may be fatal in large amounts.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz