Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Belgian police arrest 10th suspect in Paris attacks probe

Published 31/12/2015

A worker dismantles a part of the light and fireworks installation in Brussels (AP)
A worker dismantles a part of the light and fireworks installation in Brussels (AP)

A 10th person has been arrested over the Paris attacks and six others have been detained for questioning over a suspected plot to stage new attacks in Brussels, Belgian authorities said.

Law enforcement officials said there is no known connection between the two investigations, but they highlight the role of Belgium as a hotbed of Islamic radicalism in Europe.

Authorities said a Belgian national born in 1993 and identified only as Ayoub B has been charged with terrorist murder and participation in the activities of a terrorist group for his suspected involvement in the November 13 attacks in Paris, claimed by Islamic State (IS).

The man was detained on Wednesday following a search in the Molenbeek neighbourhood of Brussels, where some of the Paris attackers lived, including suspected ringleader Abdelhamid Abaaoud.

Nine people in Belgium had already been arrested in connection with the attacks, in which 130 people lost their lives and hundreds more were injured.

The Federal Prosecutor's Office also said six people were brought in for questioning and seven searches carried out on Thursday morning in various Brussels-area locations in connection with a suspected plot to stage extremist attacks over the holidays on police, soldiers and popular sites in the Belgian capital.

It said a magistrate will decide whether arrest warrants should be issued against the six.

Computer materials, mobile phones and equipment for airsoft, a sport that uses replica firearms to fire non-metallic pellets, were confiscated in the searches, the prosecutor's office said. Previous searches in the case led to the impounding of military-style training uniforms and IS propaganda material, the office has said.

Two men were arrested earlier this week in connection with the suspected holiday plot, both members of a motorcycle club.

On Thursday, a judge ordered Said S, a Belgian national born in 1985, and Mohammed K born in 1988, held for another month, the Federal Prosecutor's Office said.

In relation to the detention of Ayoub B on Wednesday, police also raided a residence on Molenbeek's Rue Delaunoy and seized "about 10" mobile phones.

The same address had also been targeted three days after the Paris attacks by police searching for suspect Salah Abdeslam, who is believed to have acted as logistician for the November 13 killers and remains a fugitive.

Abdeslam's brother Brahim was also one of the suicide bombers in Paris.

The prosecutor's office said no weapons or explosives were found in Wednesday's search. It provided no further details, but French police reports cited by the Le Monde newspaper have said the Paris attackers were in mobile phone contact with two numbers in Belgium during the night of the killings.

Le Monde said the police reports show the attacks were orchestrated or at least closely monitored, in real time, from Belgium.

Paris prosecutor's office spokeswoman Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre confirmed details released in Le Monde of the mobile phone communications and activity.

They included a text message sent from a suicide bomber to a phone in Belgium moments before three gunmen stormed a rock concert in the Bataclan theatre, and Internet searches about the concert venue and the American headliner band, Eagles of Death Metal.

Within five days, Ayoub B is to appear before another judge, who will decide whether he should continue to be held in preventive detention, the Belgian prosecutor's office said.

Authorities in Brussels earlier cancelled planned New Year's Eve fireworks amid fears of a terrorist attack.

Mayor Yvan Mayeur said it would be impossible to screen the thousands of revellers who would otherwise be gathering in the city to ring in the new year.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph