Berlin teenager admits making up migrant rape claim that outraged Germany
A 13-year-old Russian-German teenager has confessed to making up claims that she was kidnapped and raped by migrants in Germany.
The parents of the teenager, named only as Lisa F, reported her missing on 11 January after she failed to appear at school in Berlin.
She reappeared 30 hours later telling her parents she had been attacked by men of Middle Eastern or north African appearance.
The allegations triggered outrage in the country and a brief diplomatic dispute between Germany and Russia.
Last week Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov claimed in a news conference that the case had been "hushed up for a long time for some reason" and that the girl's disappearance was not “voluntarily.”
German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier accused Russia of using the case as "propaganda".
Now prosecutors in Berlin have announced that they believe the rape allegations were fabricated.
Analysis of mobile phone records showed the teenager spent the night with a friend, who is not being treated as a suspect.
"Using data from her broken mobile phone, we were able to access information about a young German man aged 19 – an acquaintance of the 13-year-old girl," spokesman Martin Steltner told AFP on Friday.
"The young girl wanted to hide at his house because she was having problems in school."
The teenager's mother reportedly told Der Spiegel on Sunday that her daughter was receiving treatment for mental health problems and “doing very badly”.