Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Boko Haram video claims to show kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls and offers to release them in exchange for prisoners

The effort to rescue the captives has been fuelled by a social media campaign under the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls

News agency Agence France-Presse said the 'Boko Haram video' showed around 100 girls wearing full veils praying in an undisclosed location.
News agency Agence France-Presse said the 'Boko Haram video' showed around 100 girls wearing full veils praying in an undisclosed location.
An image from a video posted by Boko Haram sympathizers shows the leader of the radical Islamist sect Imam Abubakar Shekau. Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for the April 15, 2014, mass abduction of nearly 300 teenage schoolgirls in northeast Nigeria. (AP Photo/File)
An image from a video posted by Boko Haram sympathizers shows the leader of the radical Islamist sect Imam Abubakar Shekau. Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for the April 15, 2014, mass abduction of nearly 300 teenage schoolgirls in northeast Nigeria. (AP Photo/File)
People attend a rally calling on the Government to rescue the school girls kidnapped from the Chibok Government secondary school, in Abuja, Nigeria, Saturday May 10, 2014. (AP Photo/Sunday Alamba)
People attend a rally calling on the Government to rescue the school girls kidnapped from the Chibok Government secondary school, in Abuja, Nigeria, Saturday May 10, 2014. (AP Photo/Sunday Alamba)

The Nigerian terrorist group Boko Haram has reportedly released a new video message in which they show some of the hundreds of schoolgirls they have kidnapped, and offered to release them in exchange for prisoners.

Abubakar Shekau, the leader of the militant group, also said that the girls had been converted to Islam while in captivity.

Shekau has previously spoken about the abduction in other filmed messages, where he appeared in military fatigues and flanked by armoured vehicles.

Today the news agency Agence France-Presse said it had seen a 17-minute video which showed around 100 girls wearing full veils praying in an undisclosed location.

Three of the girls were reported to be shown speaking in the video, in which one of them said they have not been harmed.

Two girls reportedly said they were Christian and have converted to Islam and the third said she is a Muslim.

In a separate part of the video, Shekau said that the girls would remain captive until the Nigerian government releases all imprisoned Boko Haram militants.

There are concerns that the girls may now have been split up into a number of groups, and that some may even have been smuggled out of the country altogether.

The Nigerian government has previously said it will not "pay a ransom" to get the girls back for fear that it will simply encourage further abductions in the future. The Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan vowed on Thursday to make the incident "the beginning of the end" for terrorism in his country.

Speaking to Sky News, the father of one of the kidnapped girls said he did not want the government to accept Boko Haram's offer of an exchange for prisoners.

"It's not right," hes said. "They'll do it again."

Officials in Nigeria say a total of 276 girls were abducted on 14 April from Chibok in the state of Borno, which has a large Christian community. It is believed that 223 girls remain missing.

A number of the girls escaped the group, and speaking yesterday one of them said more would have escaped had they not feared being shot by their captors.

The government’s failure to rescue the remaining girls has attracted mounting outrage. Last week, Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan accepted international help after ignoring earlier offers.

The team expected in Nigeria to assist in search and rescue efforts will include US hostage negotiators, counter-terror experts and intelligence agents from Britain, France, China and Spain. Israel also offered assistance on Sunday.

Around the world, the effort to rescue the captives has been fuelled by a social media campaign, under the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls. Yesterday it was joined by the Prime Minister, David Cameron, who later came in for criticism that there were more practical things he could do to help.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz