Borussia Dortmund team bus explosion: Marc Bartra injured, match postponed
Borussia Dortmund's Champions League game against Monaco has been postponed until Wednesday after defender Marc Bartra was injured in an explosion around the team bus.
The German club announced a bomb exploded near their bus before the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final, the incident believed to have happened around three kilometres away from the stadium.
German police are working on the assumption that blasts were caused by "serious explosive devices".
Police in Dortmund said the devices which went off near the bus as the Bundesliga side were leaving their hotel for a Champions League match "may have been hidden in a hedge near a parking area".
Dortmund defender Marc Bartra suffered injuries to his arm and hand in the incident.
The club tweeted: "@MarcBartra was injured and is currently in the hospital. Good and fast recovery, Marc! #bvbasm"
Bartra joined the club from Barcelona last year, and his former club were quick to wish him well.
The Spanish club said on Twitter: "All our support to @MarcBartra, @BVB and their fans."
The chief executive of Borussia Dortmund said Bartra Hans-Joachim Watzke said the injuries to the Spaniard were "nothing life-threatening".
Dortmund police spokeswoman Nina Vogt said investigators do not yet know the source of the explosions that went off as the team was preparing to leave their hotel.
A statement on the club's Twitter account said: "Bomb explosion on the team bus at the team hotel. Players are safe."
Dortmund and European governing body UEFA said shortly after 1930BST that the match had been called off, and would instead kick off at 1745BST on Wednesday.
The local police force - Polizei Nordrhein-Westfalen Dortmund - then stated on Twitter: "We can confirm that there have been three explosions in the area of the @BVB team bus."
In an initial announcement, Dortmund said: "At the departure of our bus, an incident occurred. One person was injured. More information to follow."
The clubs had been preparing for the first leg of their quarter-final tie.
In the immediate aftermath of the explosions, Dortmund said there was "no cause for concern" for those at the stadium, and added the club were in close contact with the emergency services and UEFA.
Police Dortmund said in a statement: "In the run-up to the Champions League game between BVB (Dortmund) and AS Monaco, there was just after 1900 tonight an explosion close to the BVB team bus."
The statement added: "According to what we currently know, the wheels of the bus (totally or partly) burst and one person was injured.
"It is not yet possible to say exactly what the explosion was or exactly where something exploded."
Following the announcement that the match had been postponed, Police Dortmund tweeted: "To reassure stadium visitors and relatives: There are currently no indications of a threat to visitors in the stadium #bvbasm"
Belfast Telegraph Digital