Boston marathon bombings blast suspect on new charges
The surviving suspect in the deadly Boston marathon bombings is facing life in prison or the death penalty after he was formally charged with killing four people and using a weapon of mass destruction.
Many of the charges were brought against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (19) in April, but new charges cover the killing of a police officer and the carjacking of a motorist during a getaway attempt that left Tsarnaev's his older brother, Tamerlan, dead.
Three people were killed and more than 260 injured in twin explosions near the finish line of the marathon on April 15. Authorities said each brother placed a backpack containing a shrapnel-loaded pressure cooker bomb near the marathon finish line. The bombs went off within seconds of one another.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed following a shootout with police four days later, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was captured hiding in a boat in a suburban backyard.
The indictment says he wrote a message on the inside of the boat that said, among other things, "The US Government is killing our innocent civilians", "I can't stand to see such evil go unpunished" and "We Muslims are one body you hurt one you hurt us all."
The Tsarnaev brothers had roots in the turbulent Russian regions of Dagestan and Chechnya, which have become recruiting grounds for Islamic extremists. They had been living in the United States for about a decade.
The charges make no mention of a larger conspiracy beyond the brothers and no mention of any direct overseas contacts with extremists. Instead, it suggests the internet played a central role in the suspects' radicalisation.