Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Boy dies after geothermal pool fall

A boy has died in a New Zealand hospital after being scalded when he fell into a geothermal pool.

The eight-year-old was visiting Kuirau Park in the North Island city of Rotorua, which is known for its steaming geothermal geysers and hot mud and water pools. The pools can be as hot as 100C.

Witness Anna Kare said the boy was screaming in agony as a teenager carried him to his parents after the accident, according to the New Zealand Herald newspaper.

"The boy was yelling 'my hands, my hands,' and I saw all the skin on his hands peeling off," Kare said. "I saw the burns were all the way from his head to his feet."

She said there was no mud on the boy so it was likely he had fallen into a hot water pool.

The boy, whose name was not released, was initially taken to a local hospital but later airlifted to Auckland.

Air ambulance pilot Grant Bremner said the boy was unconscious when he was transported.

"He was on a ventilator and on life support. He was severely burned," he said.

Later Middlemore Hospital spokeswoman Lauren Young said the child died from his "unsurvivable" injuries with his family at his bedside.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph