Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 30 August 2014

Bridge collapse in China kills 11

Five people were confirmed dead at the scene of the bridge collapse in China, and six others died later in hospital

A bridge under construction in a village in southern China has collapsed, killing 11 people and injuring several others.

State-run Xinhua News Agency says the stone arch bridge being built in Liangkengkou village in Guangdong province collapsed early yesterday afternoon.

A spokesman at the information office of Maoming city government, which is carrying out rescue work, said today that rescuers had pulled out 26 people from the debris.

Five of them were confirmed dead at the scene. Eight others were seriously injured, six of whom died later in hospital. One other person had managed to get out.

He says the construction of the unlicensed bridge had been arranged by the village committee, and that three people were in police custody.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz