Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Briton held in stab murder probe

Police in Rome have arrested a British man on suspicion of killing one man and the attempted murder of another

A British man has been arrested in Italy on suspicion of killing one man and the attempted murder of another, according to reports.

Jason Peter Marshall is the prime suspect in the murder of 68-year-old tour guide Vincenzo Iale who was strangled and stabbed to death in his flat on the outskirts of Rome, according to Sky News.

The 24-year-old was arrested on Friday night after police traced him to a bus using his mobile phone signal.

Officers tracked him down after finding a 55-year-old man severely beaten in the bedroom of his flat in the centre of Rome following neighbours' calls to police after hearing screams and cries for help.

Officers believe Marshall met both men through gay internet chat rooms, according to the news channel.

The 55-year old man identified Marshall as the attacker and said he was threatened with a gun, beaten with a cosh and smothered with a pillow.

Marshall allegedly left the flat with the victim's iPad to erase traces of contact between them, along with 400 euro (£346) and credit cards.

It is believed that the Briton, from Greenwich, south-east London, arrived in Italy last month and allegedly killed Mr Iale at his flat in Torvajanica before carrying out the latest attack.

He is being held in Regina Coeli prison in Rome on suspicion of murder, kidnap and possessing offensive weapons.

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) spokeswoman said: "We are aware of the arrest of a Britain national in Italy on February 22. We are providing consular assistance."

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz