Brussels attacks: Everything we know about the bombings in Belgium
Terror group Isis has claimed responsibility for two explosions at Brussels Airport and one at Maalbeek Metro Station on Tuesday morning that killed at least 30 people and injured dozens.
At least one of the blasts at the airport is likely to have been carried out by a suicide bomber.
Brussels was initially on lockdown but people have now been told that they can start to move around again.
The terror alert has been raised to its highest level. Security across Europe has been tightened.
Here is what we know so far:
Shortly after 8am local time, two explosions were heard minutes apart in the departure hall of the airport. One reportedly took place near the American Airlines check-in area, and another near the Brussels Airlines desk.
- Belgian media reported that at least 11 people had died and 81 people had been injured
- Belga news agency reported that shots were fired and Arabic could be heard before the explosions
- People could be seen fleeing the airport as smoke rose from the terminal building
- An eyewitness said: "It was atrocious. The ceilings collapsed. There was blood everywhere, injured people, bags everywhere"
- Officials have urged people to stay away from the airport
- Brussels Airport has also told people to avoid the area, and it has cancelled all flights. It is expected to stay closed until about 6am on Wednesday
At least one Kalashnikov assault rifle was found in the departure lounge, according to a European security official
Florence Muls, the airport communications manager, has defended the security at the site, adding that the airport does not have the ability to impose controls at the terminal entry
Maalbeek Metro station
About an hour after the airport blasts, there was an explosion at Maalbeek Metro station, which close to a number of EU institutions.
- A photo from VRT showed that a train carriage was struck by the blast
- Guy Sablon, a Brussels transit spokesman, said 20 people had lost their lives in this attack and more than 100 had been injured, according to Mayor Yvan Majeur
- The entire Metro system in Brussels has been shut down
- Eurostar has suspended its services to Brussels-Midi station
- The public transport system in Brussels has been closed
- The European Commission has told people to stay at home or inside buildings. All EU institutions are on alert level orange
- Pope Francis has condemned the "blind violence" of the attacks
- Condemnation of the attacks also came from Donald Tusk, the European Council President, and US President Barack Obama
- In a joint statement, the 28 members of the EU said: "We will be united and firm in the fight against hatred, violent extremism and terrorism"
- People around the world have been showing their solidarity with Belgium, with images of Tintin, the character created by Belgian cartoonist Herge, circulating on Twitter
Independent News Service