Bucharest nightclub explosion: Dozens killed in fire 'started by pyrotechnics'
An explosion and fire at a nightclub in Bucharest has left dozens of people dead.
The blast happened at the Colectiv club in the Romanian capital on Friday night.
"There are 25 deaths so far," said Deputy Prime Minister Gabriel Oprea.
Health Secretary Raed Arafat said another 88 people were injured and were being treated by paramedics.
The death toll later rose to 26, and is expected to keep mounting.
The venue was hosting a rock concert.
Romanian news channel Digi24 reports says pyrotechnics started the fire, which quickly spread.
"There was a stampede of people running out of the club," one man who escaped without shoes told Reuters.
Dozens of ambulances and fire engines rushed to attend to the casualties, many suffering severe burns.
Some reports have stated that part of the club’s roof collapsed.
Romanian President Klaus Iohannis expressed his shock and sadness at the tragedy, posting on Facebook: "At this painful time, I express my full compassion and solidarity with the families of those affected by this tragedy"
He added: "I urge you all to stand by grieving families and give solidarity and compassion."