Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Campaign to remove Venezuela president completes first phase

Published 02/08/2016

A woman holds a sign with a message that in reads in Spanish
A woman holds a sign with a message that in reads in Spanish "revoke hunger" during a protest march in Caracas (AP)

Opponents of Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro have gathered enough signatures to permit them to conduct a second petition drive aimed at removing the socialist leader from office.

The electoral authorities said the opposition coalition successfully collected signatures from at least 1% of voters in each state - a requirement for pursuing a petition drive calling for a recall election.

The opposition now faces a much tougher challenge, as it must gather signatures from 20% of Venezuela's registered voters, or four million people, to force a recall election - and it will have just three days to do it.

With Venezuela's economic troubles worsening, with triple-digit inflation and widespread shortages of goods, opinion polls say a large majority of voters want Mr Maduro gone.

If his opponents succeed in defeating him in a recall vote this year, Venezuela would hold an election for a new president. If it happened in 2017, Mr Maduro would be replaced by his vice president.

Leaders of the ruling socialist party have said they will not allow the vote to happen before next year.

Also on Monday, the country's Supreme Court declared the opposition-controlled National Assembly in contempt until three contested legislative seats are vacated.

The congress swore in the three politicians last week in defiance of a Supreme Court ruling.

The electoral authorities had certified the victory of the three in December elections. But they were later denied their seats after allies of the government alleged electoral irregularities.

The Supreme Court has consistently struck down congressional legislation this year.


Read More

From Belfast Telegraph