Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Candles may have caused fatal fire

A fire at a New York apartment building that killed three boys may have been started by candles after the electricity was cut off, city authorities have said.

Officials say the blaze started in a second-floor apartment at a six-storey building just blocks from Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.

Five-year-old Elijah Artis, two-year-old Jeremiah Artis and four-month-old Michael Turner were pronounced dead at a hospital.

Police say their 25-year-old mother and her two other children, a, four-year-old girl and girl aged just four months, are stable.

Fire marshals are still investigating the blaze, but authorities said the woman had been using candles to light the home. The power was said to have been cut because of unpaid bills.

The building is about 10 blocks from the site of a 2007 fire that killed 10 people, including eight children.

AP

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph