Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Chiefs sacked after museum massacre

Tunisia's prime minister has sacked five leading security officials days after three gunmen attacked a Tunis museum, killing 21 people.

The ousted officials include the director of Tunisia's tourist police and the police chief for the neighbourhood around the National Bardo Museum, government spokesman Mufdi Mseddi said.

The decision was made after the prime minister, Habib Essid, visited the attack site and noted security problems, the spokesman said. President Beji Caid Essebsi had also criticised security failings around last week's attack.

The Islamic State (IS) group claimed responsibility for attacking the museum, which hosts a trove of Roman mosaics.

Several well-armed groups in neighbouring Libya have pledged allegiance to IS. Tunisia is also fighting extremists claiming allegiance to al Qaida in its western mountains.

Separately, one soldier was killed and three others were wounded when a mine blew up their vehicle in a mountainous area of Tunisia known to be a refuge for al Qaida-linked Islamic radicals.

Lt Col Belhassen Oueslati, a Tunisian defence ministry spokesman, said the incident occurred on Sunday near the Algerian border.

Al Qaida-linked radicals have staged attacks against army and politicians in the area for the past two years.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph