Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 28 May 2016

Home News World

Child becomes first migrant casualty of 2016

Published 03/01/2016

Migrants, mostly from Syria, are making the dangerous crossing to Greece
Migrants, mostly from Syria, are making the dangerous crossing to Greece

A total of 217 migrants have been rescued by Greek and EU authorities over the first weekend of the new year in four separate incidents, Greece's coast guard said.

A coast guard spokeswoman said conditions in the eastern Aegean Sea were "very unfavourable" with high winds prevailing.

The first casualty of the year, a boy, died on Saturday when an inflatable dinghy carrying 40 people was thrown into rocks off the Greek island of Agathonisi. The others were rescued, including a woman who had been thrown into the sea during the crash.

On Sunday, 56 people had been rescued so far, according to the coast guard.

From the web

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph